As you know my computer has been down and I have not "blogged". This summer has been a roller coaster of emotions. My plan was to try and get help for Michael so that when school starts in 17 days the teacher can do her job and Michael can be a calmer student. I preface all of this by saying unless you have a child who has ADHD and ODD think twice before you give advice. The baby books don't prepare you for a "High maintenance" child. It is exhausting. We were blessed to be able to send Michael to 3 different nature camps. If it wasn't for those camps that helped break up the boredom of everyday I doubt we would all 3 still be alive.
I have found trying to be a pro active parent to be a huge discouragement. I tried to get the school to help me before school was out but was told we would have to wait until September 10Th which when I asked for help was 4 months away. I made appointments to see a psychiatrist and a therapist to try and get help with Michael's diagnosis. We had to wait until July 2ND to see the shrink and that whole meeting was a disaster. Made a follow up appointment to tell the shrink that the medicine for ADHD was making things more intense and could we try something else. That was this past Friday 8/21. I left that meeting with a different medicine but also left her office feeling hopeless, discouraged, and angry.The medicine we got made things even worse. We turn to the so called "EXPERTS" to help us where we lack knowledge. But sometimes they don't know what to do either.
SIGH!!!
So school starts in 17 days and you would think that I would be happy. Instead I have started bracing myself for the negative responses from the teacher and administrators. It's sad. I tried so hard to give my son a leg up for his 3rd grade year and I feel I have failed. I am so grateful for my friend Ellen, she knows what it's like and it is such a blessing to be able to call and say " I hate my job" and know that I won't be judged about saying that.
It's never too late!
13 years ago
1 comment:
Diana...hang in there! I know that I can't offer advise, but I know that you know where to get your strength from. Keep on keeping on, dear friend!
-Katie
posting as anonynous as it's not letting me post under my acct.
Post a Comment