Nov 14, 2008

F*R*I*E*N*D*S*

You know why that show "Friends" was so popular??? Because all of us have that need to be connected to others, unless of course your the "Una Bomber Ted Kazinski".
I have only seen a few episodes of "Friends" but know several people that adored that show. Same thing with "Seinfeld", a group of friends that shared their lives.

Recently I've had a high school friend come back into my life after probably 8 to 10 years without us talking. In high school and after we shared "our lives". We hung out together, ate together, mostly got into trouble together, you get the point. He came back into my life this past April. Our lives have taken different paths and so much has happened in those years to both of us.

Again, another friend that I met while working at Fred Meyers and have known for over 22 years has come back into my life. We would talk occasionally on the phone but life gets busy, there's kids, husbands and sometimes people just fade out of your life. Not for bad reasons but it just happens. We hadn't seen each other for probably 3 years and then one day she stops by. And just like that, it's old times!!!

This last Tuesday I had the joy of spending the day with both of these "FRIENDS". All three of us used to hang out together. You don't even realize how much they meant to you until an extended absence and when you re-unite, it is fabulous!!! We had a long lunch and all got caught up. There was a lot of laughter, reflecting on the past and of course more serious topics. After that we went to Starbucks to continue on. The 3 of us spent 4 hours together and it was one of my best days. We will never have the same friendship that we did 20 years ago because we are not the same people anymore. We have evolved. But the thing that comes back to me over and over is that we share history together. History is knowing what was in the past and not having to explain. History means you have been through good and tough times together and somehow you made it, because that friend was there to help you up. History, it's our story of our friendship. I love my friends and each of them is special.
It just was one of those magical days. Old friends that know the real you. And somehow still love you despite all that time that has kept going. I feel blessed because I still have these oldie but goodie friends, and don't plan on letting them fade away again. OH they might try and ditch me but I will stalk them!!!!! :)
Take out your history books and call those people from your past. You might have a pleasant surprise or think "THANK GOD I don't hang out with them anymore!!!




3 comments:

KatieB said...

I miss my Beaverton friends! Please know that I think of you and the "grape-shopper" often!

-Katie

Smartie Pants said...

You are missed here too!!!

Jenny Tan said...

Hrmp, am I now the professional "grape-shopper"???? :)