Jun 27, 2009

Diary of a Wimpy Mom

Well gosh, only 10 more weeks of summer vacation. Or 73 days. Which ever way you put it, it sounds long.
So 2 weeks down. My sister in law was a buffer for the whole family. We tried to be on our best behavior. Sad that people act better when others are watching but can't keep it up to better the rest of their days.
Michael went to "Camp Tilikum" this past week. It is a Christian camp owned by George Fox University. He went for the first time last summer and was hooked. It's a day camp. I drove him daily to the church where he attended pre-school for 2 years. Dropped him off at 7:30 and he would be back at the church around 5:00 pm. He enjoyed every moment. They have cows, llamas, newts, snakes, canoeing, big tire swing, hiking, and no parents nagging him. He has decided he wants to go there yearly and eventually become a counselor there when he's old enough. It was as much of a break for him as it was for me. The saying absence makes the heart grow fonder is a true statement. When he was gone I thought of him very, very often. It was a week filled with prayers for him. I actually had the peace and quiet to remember different stages he has gone through and how much he has matured. It is hard to see those times when your battling daily. I realized some of the things that I get irritated with are really no big deal and I just need to relax and not get so upset. Easier said sometimes but I am gonna work on it.
I enjoyed having the week "off". I got some chores done around the house which makes me feel better. I spent a couple of hours with an old school mate talking and catching up. It is so nice to be reassured that I am not alone in this struggle of trying to parent a "high maintenance child". We both have children that are struggling with ADHD and it is mentally exhausting. I got to FINALLY see Lisa's new house (probably 2 years new now). We worked on a project together at her house and had fun being goofy. You know it's a true friend when you can share time together doing something as exciting and mundane as cleaning and organizing and still have a lot of fun together. Angela and I had a fun afternoon with brunch and a movie. We went to see the Sandra Bullock movie "The Proposal". It was funny and I laughed LOUD and often during it. It was a clean movie without bad language or sex. It was great and laughter is such a great way to unwind. AHHHH, we all need more times like that.

And I spent a random afternoon with an old classmate who was in town. Again nothing exciting but had lots of laughs.
And to finish off this great week I get to go scrap booking/book club/laughing/being goofy today with Janet. I always have a great time when we spend our monthly time together.
So this "Wimpy mom" has had a very nice two weeks, let's hope for more of the same over the next 10 weeks.